2nd Sunday 6.00pm
4th Sunday 6pm
Sacrament of Reconciliation
Saturday 5.15 - 5.45pm
Sunday 8.00 - 8.25am
St Mary's Catholic Parish
A Roman Catholic Community in the Melbourne Archdiocese
St. Mary's - Castlemaine | St. Brigid's - Maldon | St. Anne's - Newstead | St. Laurence's - Sandon
Click here to download the current Parish Newsletter
(requires a pdf viewer)
© 2011 St Mary's Catholic Parish, Castlemaine Victoria
A small wooden school (22' x 14') was erected in Sandon by Father Smyth in 1859 (and at Golden Point) which was used for Mass and came to be regarded as a chapel. Twenty-three years later, a brick church was built by Father Allen at a cost of 1,000 pounds. The Church was blessed by Archbishop Goold on May 6th 1883 and dedicated to St Laurence.
St Laurence O'Toole's,
Text from "St Mary's Parish 150 Years" commemorative booklet, thanks to Lynda Doyle & Kevin Jenkins.
The 1940s saw some refurbishment and in 2002 a major restoration project was undertaken. St Laurence's was restored from roof to footings, by a dedicated band of volunteers and trades people. Work was completed mid 2003 and in November 2003 St Laurence's was re-dedicated with the celebration of Mass and a picnic tea.
Mass is celebrated here on the fourth Sunday of each month.