2nd Sunday 6.00pm
4th Sunday 6pm
Sacrament of Reconciliation
Saturday 5.15 - 5.45pm
Sunday 8.00 - 8.25am
St Mary's Catholic Parish
A Roman Catholic Community in the Melbourne Archdiocese
St. Mary's - Castlemaine | St. Brigid's - Maldon | St. Anne's - Newstead | St. Laurence's - Sandon
Click here to download the current Parish Newsletter
(requires a pdf viewer)
© 2011 St Mary's Catholic Parish, Castlemaine Victoria
In 1857 Father Smyth began collecting for a permanent chapel in Maldon. A two acre block was purchased and the money quickly raised, prompting the Mount Alexander Mail to remark on "the example and energy and liberality thus displayed by the Roman Catholics among us." The Brick building, of 440 x 16 feet, was dedicated under the rare title of St Saviour's and doubled as a school for a short time.
St Brigid's, Maldon
Text from "St Mary's Parish 150 Years" commemorative booklet, thanks to Lynda Doyle & Kevin Jenkins.
By the late 1880's, the old church was showing serious signs of decay and Father Collins was given task of collecting funds for a new one. The foundation stone of the present church, St Brigid's, was laid in May 1891 and 6 months later the church was opened. St Brigid's was described in the Mount Alexander Mail as "a fine brick building in the gothic style", and the church was blessed by his grace the Archbishop of Melbourne, Archbishop Carr on Sunday September 27th 1891.